– Look them up in relevant directories, e.g. World Fair Trade Association.
– Check sustainability disclosures, e.g. climate-related financial disclosures.
– Look at your suppliers’ suppliers, i.e. tier 2 or tier 3 suppliers.
– Look for third-party verification, e.g., by asking questions or looking at company reports / published content to see if they’re signed up to the UN-backed Race to Zero or whether they’ve adopted the Human Rights or Greenhouse Gas Protocols and many others.
– Research what green initiatives the supplier belongs to or supports.
– Look for recognised, audited accreditation, e.g. ISO 14001, or whether they are a member of an accredited ethical scheme such as Worldwide Responsible Accredited Production, Green Mark, and Green Accord.
– Check with the list of businesses with sustainable practices held by trade associations, e.g. the FSB and British Chamber of Commerce.